Federal Business Class
Presently, there are three Federal streams for individuals with business managerial/executive experience and high net worth to apply for Canadian permanent residency: the Self-Employed Persons Program, the Start-up Visa Program, and the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program.
Self-Employed Persons Program
You may qualify under the Self-Employed Persons Program if you have self-employment experience in cultural activities, athletics, or farm management, and are able to make a significant contribution to your field in Canada.
A qualified applicant under this Program must possess at least 2 years of experience in the last 5 years in one of the following categories:
- Two 12-month periods of experience in self-employment in cultural activities and/or participation at a world-class level in cultural activities;
- Two 12-month periods of experience in self-employment in athletics and/or participation at a world-class level in athletics; or
- Two 12-month periods of experience managing a farm
Applicants are then assessed against five Selection Criteria and a point system, and must score a minimum of 35 points to qualify. These Selection Criteria are:
- Education (up to 25 points if you hold a Master’s Degree or Ph.D.)
- Experience (up to 35 points if you possess 5 years of relevant experience in the last 5 years)
- Age (up to 10 points if you are between the ages of 21-49)
- Language proficiency (up to 24 points if you display high proficiency in one Official Language and moderate proficiency in your Second Official Language)
- Adaptability (up to 6 points can be awarded based on your spouse’s level of education, your previous work or study in Canada, and your relatives in Canada)
Start-up Visa Program
You may qualify under the Start-Up Visa Program if you intend to build a Canadian business with the support of a designated organization.
To qualify under this Program, you must first have your business proposal reviewed by a designated Canadian venture capital fund, angel investor group, or business incubator. You must provide a Letter of Support from one of these designated organizations showing one of the following:
- You have secured a minimum investment of $200,000 from one or more designated Canadian venture capital funds;
- You have secured a minimum investment of $75,000 from one or more designated Canadian angel investor groups; or
- You have been accepted into a designated Canadian business incubator program
Up to 5 applicants may apply as owners of a single business under this Program. Each applicant must hold at least 10 percent of the voting rights in the business, and the applicants and supporting designated organization must jointly hold greater than 50 percent of the voting rights in the business. Applicants must also meet language proficiency requirements (at least CLB Level 5) and show proof of sufficient settlement funds.
Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program
You may qualify under the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program if you are an individual with high net worth and are willing to make a non-guaranteed investment in the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Fund.
To qualify under this Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Net Worth – obtain a due diligence report proving that you have a personal net worth of at least CDN $10 million acquired through lawful, private sector business or investment activities;
- Investment – make a non-guaranteed investment of CDN $2 million in the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Fund for approximately 15 years;
- Language Proficiency – CLB Level 5 in English or French; and
- Education – completion of a post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate of at least one year, OR demonstrate a personal net worth of at least CDN $50 million
Please note that the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program is no longer accepting applications at this time. We will provide updates on this Program when its next application period begins.